Employment Opportunity: Animal Services
Posting No.: 2030
Closing Date: Until Filled
Department: Animal Services
Hours: Full-Time: 37.5 hours per week, including evenings, weekends, and holidays
Salary: $35,200-$39,000 annually
DuPage County Animal Care & Control is an immediate open admission shelter caring for more than 2,300 animals of varying species annually. We are currently seeking a Veterinary Technician to assist the Administrator/Veterinarian in all aspects of medical and surgical rounds, practices, and procedures. There is one (1) full-time position open at this time.
• Monitors daily animal observation sheets, maintains health check list and surgical schedule for animals in shelter and in foster
• Recognizes and communicates animal health concerns to veterinarian
• Performs catheterization both urinary and venous and proficient at venipuncture
• Cleans and bandages wounds as ordered by the veterinarian
• Administers medication, (e.g. as injections, oral medications, topical treatments, etc.) as directed by Veterinarian
• Administers euthanasia when instructed
• Cleans instruments, wraps surgical packs and maintains medical equipment
• Reviews vaccination records, prepares and administers vaccines according to vaccine protocol
• Performs intake exams and administers intake vaccinations as per protocol
• Provides medical support and facilitates routine check-ups for fosters
• Performs in-house laboratory procedures or prepares samples for outside lab services
• Induces, intubates, monitors and recovers patients under anesthesia
• Provides critical care for sick and injured animals
• Maintains pharmacy, surgical, controlled substance, anesthesia and laboratory records and inventory, and orders medical and surgical supplies when needed
• Prepackages unit dose medications and refills bulk medications
• Obtains vital signs of animals (e.g. temperature, pulse, respiration, etc.)
• Injects microchips
• Works with veterinarian to maintain complete and accurate medical records
Physical requirements and work environment:
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee may regularly be required to walk, reach with hands and/or arms and lift up to 50 lbs.
• While performing the duties and responsibilities, the employee will be exposed to loud noise, noxious odors, and will be subject to animal bites, scratches, and/or kicks
• The employee will be exposed to supplies commonly used in a veterinary setting
• The employee may be potentially exposed to zoonotic diseases, dangerous or fractious animals, infectious disease, and sharp objects
A pre-employment background check is required.
DuPage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
With minimal supervision, acts to control rabies by handling animals, including tranquilizing, impounding and/or relocating wild animals, injured animals, vicious animals and stray animals as required. Conducts investigations into ordinance or statutory violations, and issues violation notices and tickets as appropriate. Interacts with the public and with other outside agencies and organizations representing the Lake County Health Department.
Location: 18736 W. Peterson Road, Libertyville, IL
Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (9:00am - 5:00pm)
*Hours may change due to rotation including evenings and holiday, are required with on-calls*
Skills and Experience
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:
About the Perks:
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program.
Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Location: Libertyville, Illinois, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Salary: 17.89 - USD
Position is subject to close at any time.
Heartland Animal Shelter is seeking Veterinary Technicians to add to our expanding medical team! Duties include evaluating the health of our resident dogs and cats and prescribing appropriate medication and treatment plans, approving animals for adoption, administering medications (oral, topical, SQ, IM, IV, etc.) and vaccinations, obtaining samples and running diagnostic tests (bloodwork, urinalysis, fecal floats, skin cytology, etc.) and responding to medical emergencies. Other duties might include assisting in surgeries, assisting with the shelter’s foster care program, and so on.
Heartland is seeking CVTs to fill these roles, or someone with relevant shelter medicine experience. Professional experience with both dogs and cats is required. Applicants must be comfortable handling both species, of all sizes and temperaments. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, exceptionally organized and able to work independently.
Pay is commensurate with experience. Health insurance benefits are NOT offered through the organization.
To be considered for this role, please email résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications submitted without both of these items will not be considered. No phone calls, please.