Winnebago County Animal Services Administrator
Naperville Animal Control Internship Description
Position Title: General Animal Care and Control Internship
Reports to: Animal Control Supervisor
Location: Naperville Police Department - City of Naperville, IL
Position Summary: Students will benefit by gaining hands-on experience through field service events, involving both domestic and wildlife, plus animal care and sheltering. Interns can engage in a variety of responsibilities, including daily feeding, cleaning of animal areas, exercising of dogs, and monitoring and following through with medical and behavior observation. In the field, an intern will assist the animal control officer on a variety of service calls. This opportunity allows a student who has a passion for animal welfare to take an active role in the community.
Internship Duration and Schedule:
- · 25-30 hours per week
- · Total of 10-12 weeks
- · May-September available
- · Interns work a varied schedule, including weekends and holidays, hours during the week will fall between 7am-7pm and weekends 8am-2pm
Compensation: The Police Department offers internships for students either seeking academic credit or a non-credit internship experience.
The program will provide an integrated learning experience in which participants will:
- · Learn and demonstrate best practices in animal care and gain hands on animal care experience,
- · Gain an understanding of the history, services, and basic operations of Naperville Animal Control; and
- · Be inspired and gain the tools to take action in their own communities to save the lives of animals.
- · Learn and understand cleaning protocols and participate in the daily cleaning routine for each animal area.
- · Learn about basic animal care for various species, feeding, animal behavior, animal enrichment, and socialization.
- · Assist with animal intakes and reclaims
- · Work with staff to create and post social media content
- · Keep a journal of weekly activities throughout the internship
- · Answer phones, perform data entry and filing
- · Assist with educational presentations
- · Assist with other projects as needed
Skills and Experience:
- · Must be at least 18 years of age
- · Interns must be a part time or full time student enrolled at an accredited college or university, pursuing a degree in Animal Science, Biology, Criminal Justice, Human-Animal Studies, Psychology, Veterinary Technology, or Zoology.
- · Genuine interest in animals and the field of animal welfare; some experience working with animals preferred
- · Able to understand and adhere to all safety rules
- · Demonstrates initiative to listen to instructions, ask questions to clarify, and ensure tasks are carried out correctly
- · Must have strong, collaborative teamwork skills
- · Able to work in a dynamic environment in which flexibility is key
- · Must be able to routinely lift 50 pounds
- · Ability to bend, lift, walk, and stand for long periods of time
- · Must be able to intern outdoors in all weather conditions
- · Must be able to intern around allergens like dust and animal fur
Application Submission Requirements:
- · All candidates must complete and submit a written application prior to April 20th , 2018.
- · Applicants will be contacted by the Animal Control Supervisor, for either an interview or that he/she is no longer in consideration for the internship. Selections will be made after the designated applicants have been interviewed.
Required Forms and Documents:
- · A resume and cover letter indicating the desired duration of the internship
- · A letter of recommendation
- · Proof of enrollment and academic requirements from the applicant’s college or university
- · Internship Application
- · Internship Background Waiver
- · Interns must carry health and injury insurance during their internship. Proof of medical insurance coverage must be submitted prior to the intern’s start date.
** Hours are not guaranteed and are subject to the needs of the Animal Control Unit within the Naperville Police Department
Animal Control Supervisor
Naperville Police Department